Safety Specialist - #305707
CHEP South Africa (Pty) Ltd
Based at Cornubia, Durban
Grow your career with a Global Industry Leader.
The role is responsible for providing practical specialist HSE support within the coastal region. Having a high level of interaction with regional OPS Leaders, SHEQ teams, frontline teams and general staff, supporting and coaching in the deployment of sustainable safety programs aimed at building a Safety first culture.
The role also leads/participates in global & regional strategic safety projects including the communication, sharing and implementation of outcomes across their regional scope.
- Strategy Deployment
- Align & support operations to develop site specific HSE & Wellbeing Improvement plans (Tier 4 Plans). Assure HSE & Wellbeing plans are embedded, effective and sustainable throughout the coastal region.
- HSE technical expertise and support
- Provide expert HSE advice and guidance across the coastal region.
- Support the deployment of strategic safety projects (i.e., machine guarding improvements, fire improvements pedestrian segregation improvements etc.,).
- Lead/support regional concept to completion process for all engineering projects and equipment upgrades.
- Safety Differently & Culture Promotion
- Support culture transformation initiatives through the Safety Differently Philosophy by promoting the activation of learning teams and the sharing of learnings.
- Support OPS Leaders to proactively drive Safety through Active Leadership at site level.
- Coaching and Mentoring
- Serve as a mentor and coach for plant leaders and other key stakeholders on Safety.
- Provide safety specialist support, coaching and mentoring to Regional SHEQ Leaders and Plant Safety Clerks.
- HSE Awareness
- Lead/support regional HSE awareness programs and campaigns aimed at improving safety performance.
- Lead Safety awareness sessions as part of empowering our teams to adopt a Safety First mindset and Safety ownership (i.e., SLAM Awareness, Brambles Absolute Safety First Rules awareness etc.)
- Incident reporting, investigation and review
- Support the region by ensuring all incidents are reported on iCARE timeously, investigated properly, are classified and reported in accordance with the Global incident reporting policy and applicable local legislative requirements.
- Provide specialist support on investigations to understand events and “real” underlying factors negating opportunity for incident repetition.
- Lead/support significant incident response and oversight activities as designated by the Senior HSE Manager.
- Coach sites to generate and analyse incident trends and develop proactive focused interventions aimed at improving Safety performance.
- Compliance Monitoring & Continuous Improvement
- Support the GAP audit program ensuring corrective actions are closed out timeously.
- Promote HSE continuous improvement initiatives within the region.
- General responsibilities
- Support coastal regions for the SSA Leadership Quarterly Safety Review Meetings.
- Compile monthly regional safety performance reports.
- Monitor compensation costs and continually improve safety performance.
- Reviewing Tier 3 & Tier 4 procedures as needed ensuring distribution to appropriate stakeholders.
Support sites in the generation and sharing of good practices aimed at improving safety and
simplifying ways of working.
A Tertiary 3- year Qualification (Diploma/Degree) in Safety/HSE
- Prior experience in a safety role in a manufacturing environment.
- At least 5-7 years’ experience in a safety role or operational implementation of safety programs.
- Experienced in practical and sustainable safety solutions.
- Experience of working with regulatory bodies and labour representatives.
- Strong customer focus orientation.
- Experienced in driving collaborative change.
- Effective at stakeholder relationships.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and strategic thinking ability.
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally.
- Experience in culture transformation initiatives.
- Managing and leading change in a highly matrix organisation.
- Experience with working in virtual teams.
Skills and Knowledge
- A strong passion for keeping our people safe.
- Effective negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong vision and principled approach.
- Has the ability to build trust and excitement for safety within the region.
- Results driven with a strong analytical and problem-solving skill set.
- Clear, persuasive and collaborative communication & influencing skills.
- Detailed knowledge of Health, Safety and environmental management systems.
- Microsoft, Excel, Power Point