2x Occupational Health & Safety Officer - GWK Occupational Health & Safety, Kimberley/Douglas - #305728
At GWK we work daily to move the boundaries of agriculture, to help people discover new and better ways. We are pioneers in the agri- and food value chain, committed to shaping a sustainable business, driving growth and providing a better future for all stakeholders. We offer you the opportunity to establish yourself within a professional, corporate environment in the countryside.
The Safety Officer has the responsibility to ensure that all of GWK's safety policies, procedures, and processes, as well as any legal requirements, are fully complied with the Occupational Health and Safety Act 85 of 1993 and its regulations. This also includes compliance with the regulations regarding Railway Safety Regulations and Food Safety Requirements for the Grain Department as set by PPECB.
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent
- A National Diploma in Safety Management or a B. Tech degree in Safety Management would be beneficial.
- Occupational Health and Safety qualification, such as NEBOSH or a related field (including food safety)
- COMSOC 1/2 or SAMTRAC qualification
- NOSA certification
- At least 6 years of proven experience in the safety field, with experience in an agricultural environment being beneficial.
- Incident Investigation Level 3 certification
- A clean criminal record is necessary
- Being medically healthy with no serious health ailments or illnesses is required
- A valid driver's license is essential
- Own reliable transport is also essential
Please note that these qualifications and experience are necessary for the position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Investigate all accidents and review control measures.
- Inspect workplaces to identify non-conformities.
- Research ways to improve health and safety standards.
- Provide support to business managers and employees to provide a safe working environment.
- Develop health and safety programs and strategies.
- Keep up-to-date with relevant laws and technical knowledge.
- Write monthly reports against set deadlines.
- Conduct various types of risk assessments.
- Ensure that all relevant legal appointments are valid and retained.
- Schedule and facilitate Health and Safety Committee meetings and keep records for management review.
- Develops, implements and maintains an effective program and ensures compliance to meet the requirements of local legislation, for example, the OHS, COID, Environmental Conservation and railway acts.
- Develop systems to ensure that all employees comply with all relevant legal safety requirements.
- Identify safety training needs, organize and coordinate safety training courses, and prepare. training materials where appropriate.
- Coordinate safety meetings:
- Ensure meeting times are set
- Agendas are sent out
- Minutes are kept and sent out
- Ensure that all support documentation regarding the security programme is received from all parties involved promptly and in the correct format
- Assist in the appointment of all legal appointments
- Communicate changes in safety and environmental legislation to management.
- Evaluate incident forms, surveys, and audits to establish causes and, together with the supervisors and managers concerned, formulate a plan of action to correct non-compliant behaviour or conditions.
- Liaise with contractors on site to ensure they comply with company safety regulations and compliance with safety standards, including basic safety induction training.
- Conduct surveys and audits as required to identify and minimize risk to the company and employees.
- Identify unsafe acts, conditions and hazards, investigate causes identify corrective and preventive actions and report to management.
- Coordinate at least two evacuation drills per year to ensure all staff become familiar with these procedures.
- Assist in formulating emergency/contingency plans for:
- Natural disaster
- Industrial action
- Political turmoil
- Bomb threats
- Review and update emergency procedures as and when necessary.
- At an intermediate skill level, proficient in MS Office.
- Thorough report writing skills including conducting risk assessments and non-conformity audits.
- Preparation and delivery of presentations.
- Accurate, detail-oriented, excellent communication skills, problem-solving abilities, and ability to implement and administer safety systems.
- The company can expire jobs at any time at their own discretion.
- VKB Group and/or its subsidiary companies will use any personal data collected through the job opportunities section of this website for recruitment purposes only and, should your application be successful, for purposes connected with your employment.
- VKB Group is an equal opportunity employer. VKB Group’s approved Employment Equity Plan and Targets will be considered as part of the recruitment process aligned to VKB Group’s Employment Equity & Transformation Strategy. VKB Group actively supports the recruitment of People with Disabilities
- Things to take note of when applying through our Career Portal.
- Use Google Chrome when accessing the portal
- Clear copy of your CV in either PDF or Word
- The CV should not have handwriting on the document
- NB! Only Submit your CV on the Upload CV section of the application form and not a PDF that includes other documents such as ID, Driver’s License and other documents. The application form will make provision for the candidate to upload supporting documents.
- When uploading profile picture, make sure the minimum size uploaded is 300 x 300px