Faculty Language Co-Ordinator: Faculty of Business & Management Sciences (3 year contract) - #305765
Cape Peninsula University of Technology
Job Type Contract Occupational Function Academic Number of Positions 1 Annual Salary Package (incl. Medical Aid rate based on principal member only) To be confirmed Advert Closing Date 23/2/2024 Job Purpose
- The Faculty of Business & Management Sciences seeks to appoint a Faculty Language Coordinator for a period of three (3) years on a portfolio basis in which the incumbent will retain 50% of their current academic workload and take additional responsibilities for the Faculty Language coordinator role.
- The purpose of this role is to facilitate, manage and ensure the implementation of the institutional Language Policy in the faculty as well as to promote multilingualism in the faculty to advance academic success in teaching, learning and assessment.
- The incumbent will be required to initiate, co-ordinate and execute appropriate language development interventions and strategies in the faculty.
- A relevant Doctoral degree
- At least four (4) years' teaching experience in language subjects or language education at tertiary level
- Experience in management and administration in the faculty
- A proven track record of assistance in language interventions in tertiary level programmes
- Proficiency in English and at least one other regional language.
Please note: In exceptional circumstances, applicants with a Master's degree meeting the other minimum requirements other than a Doctoral degree will be considered under the following conditions:
1. Registration for a relevant Doctoral degree and have made significant progress (i.e. in the final write up stage and/or have submitted their final draft) towards the completion of the qualification.
2. Candidates must provide evidence of a progress report from their supervisor authenticating the progress to date and the expected date of completion.
Preference will be given to applicants with a relevant Doctoral degree.Key Performance Areas / Principal Accountabilities
- Lecturing in inter-disciplinary language/communication subjects (50% workload) across the faculty
- Management and coordination of the work of language staff within the faculty
- Coordinate/chair the faculty language committee
- Represent the faculty at all related institutional committees (i.e. Senate Language Committee, etc.)
- Liaison with all the language lecturers in the faculty about needs and support
- Planning, implementation and collaboration of language development strategies and interventions for the faculty
- Develop teaching materials in coordination with other lecturers to support language development interventions in the faculty
- Develop e-learning language resources and strategies for language support and general teaching of languages
- Implement and coordinate language development programmes for students
- Plan interventions for students who need support
- Implement and coordinate language development initiatives for staff
- Undertake postgraduate supervision and implementation language support for postgraduate students in languages
- Write proposals for the funding of language development projects
- Promote and support multilingualism in the faculty
- Manage the language budget for the faculty
- Demonstration of knowledge of all relevant aspects of language and language teaching
- Sound language and communication teaching
- Strong facilitation, coaching and mentoring
- Leadership, management and coordination skills
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong research skills
- Excellent administrative skills
- Effective report, policy and proposal writing skills
- Demonstrate ability to work in a team
- Computer literate (MS Office Suite)
- General Administration
- Teaching/professional knowledge and skills
- Demonstrable ability to work in a team
- Ability to work independent with minimal
- Ability to work under pressure
Closing Date: 23 February 2024
Enquiries: [email protected]
NB: PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS SYSTEM DOES NOT ALLOW APPLICANTS TO UPLOAD CVs. IT IS THUS IMPORTANT THAT APPLICANTS COMPLETE ALL SECTIONS COMPREHENSIVELY AS FAILURE TO DO SO MIGHT DISADVANTAGE YOU. PLEASE UPDATE YOUR APPLICATION ON THE SYSTEM WITH THE LATEST INFORMATION AS THIS WILL BE THE ONLY CRITERIA USED FOR EVALUATION OF YOUR APPLICATION BY OUR PANEL.The Cape Peninsula University of Technology is committed to Employment Equity and aims to attract and retain talented individuals to achieve our equity objectives and therefore, people from the designated groups, including those with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to applicants whose appointment contributes towards the achievement of demographic representation. We reserve the right not to make an appointment.